Road trip to Galveston Island in your future?
Before you load up the car, take a moment to scan these very cool "Insider Tips" from those in the know! Guaranteed, follow these tips, and you're sure to have a tropical, Island-style vacation you won't soon forget!
pictured: Galveston's East End Historical District
4. Visit the three glass pyramids - Aquarium, Rainforest and Discovery - at Moody Gardens.
5. Cool down at the family-friendly Stewart Beach and go boogie-boarding in the Gulf.
6. Tour Bishop’s Palace, named one of the top 100 outstanding buildings in the U.S. by the American Institute of Architects, and gorgeous Moody Mansion, whose ornate designs must be seen to be believed.
7. Dine at the iconic Gaido’s Seafood Restaurant - don’t leave without trying the grilled shrimp and blue cheese grits or famous pecan pie.
9. Wander Pier 21’s museums, including the Ocean Star Drilling Rig Museum, Texas Seaport Museum and the 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA.
13. Watch The Great Storm, a documentary on the 1900 hurricane, at the Pier 21 Theater.
14. Splash into Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark’s rivers, rides, slides and chutes. Get your 2021 season pass today.
16. Take an African American Historic Places tour to see remarkable monuments including the African American Museum, Avenue L Missionary Baptist Church and Ashton Villa.
17. Go on a ghost tour of the island with guide Dash Beardsley, then make your way to Galveston Historic Tours’ living dead and graveyard tour. The Galveston Experience Company also offers Ghost Bus Tours.
18. Visit Seawolf Park for some of the best fishing on the island, then journey inside its WWII submarine and Navy destroyer escort warship.
19. Kayak through Galveston Island State Park with Artist Boat’s tours, then take an art lesson.
21. Buy fresh seafood at Katie’s Seafood Market or Sampson & Son’s Seafood on Pier 20.
22. Play golf at Moody Gardens Golf Course or Galveston Country Club, and make a weekend of it with a stay at Moody Gardens Hotel, Hotel Galvez & Spa or The San Luis Resort, all of which offer special golfing packages to guests.
23. Peruse the museum located on the fourth floor of the Rosenberg Library, the oldest public library in Texas.
24. Attend Mardi Gras! Galveston, the third largest celebration of its kind in the nation.
Where the Texas Coast begins.
by Mellanie Perez
by Mary Beth Bassett
by Visit Galveston
by Clayton Kolavo
by Mellanie Perez
The Galveston Island Convention and Visitors Bureau (GICVB) is the official destination marketing organization for Galveston Island, Texas.